When their children are grown and flown, what will parents do with their lives?
One thing they intend to do is have sex. A survey by dating app Lumen found that respondents – both single and those in a relationship – plan to have sex until they are, on average, 79.
They plan on having hot sex, too.
The app that caters to the over-50 crowd found that “43% of all Americans over 50 say that their sex is just as or more adventurous than when they were younger.”
A third of older Americans said that they are having the best sex of their lives.
Why so adventurous?
They’re so daring between the sheets – or wherever the adventurous spirit takes them – because the survey said that they were less uptight. More than half of U.S. respondents (57%) said they attribute their love for “adventure,” which is never defined, to having fewer inhibitions as they grow older.
The Lumen survey looked at 6,000 sexually active singles and people in relationships between ages 50-80 in Australia, the U.S. and the United Kingdom. Among the findings of the 2,003 Americans surveyed:
- 51% say they won’t stop having sex until they are unable.
- 49% said lower libido was the No. 1 reason for becoming less adventurous in their sex life.
- 25% of women said they have become less adventurous because of body insecurities, compared with just under 13% of men.
- 56% say they never use protection when having sex.
- 62% have never been tested for an STD.
STD rates are rising
The fact this age group doesn’t focus on protection or testing is a problem. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that STDs are rising in adults 45 and older. There were 82,938 cases of gonorrhea, syphilis and chlamydia in 2016, a 20% increase over the previous year, according to the CDC’s last surveillance report.
The infection rates may be higher in younger people, but the increase rate was higher in the older population and the CDC estimates that what is reported is only a fraction of the people infected.
How many partners?
Since turning 50, Americans say they have had an average six sexual partners, the survey found. The majority, 62%, have had only one partner since turning 50 (though those 50-69 make up four out of five respondents). The number of partners increases with age – those 70 and older have had four sexual partners on average since turning 50.
The surveys were conducted online from April 24 through May 18.
- Reese Witherspoon ‘laid on her bed and cried’ when daughter Ava left for college
- When mom in hospital couldn’t attend daughter’s graduation, they brought the ceremony to her
- Kids aren’t growing up: Shocking new poll says parents are killing kids’ life skills
- Jennifer Garner told grads to insist on one surprising goal, above money, fame, marriage
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2019/05/24/why-adults-over-50-have-more-adventurous-sex-as-std-rates-rise-lumen-survey/1197575001/